Sunday, April 3, 2011

Dark Horse Reserve Special Black Ale


I know things have been a little slow around here lately, and they're going to be for a while. Along with work being super busy, I have agreed to do a play that a friend of mine is directing. She was in a pinch because someone bailed on her not even 2 weeks before Opening Night, so I have just been studying this part as much as I can. That said, I need a beer!

So here is Dark Horse Brewing's Reserve Special Black Ale. It is indeed black with a creamy dark tan head. Lots of roast and toffee in the nose. Kind of smells like a Heath Bar. Wrapped in bacon.

Big, bold flavors in the first sip. Dark, bitter chocolate, smoked meat, roasted coffee. Late hop bite, too.

I really dig on this one! 7.5% ABV doesn't hurt, either. As they mention on the site, it's not quite a porter, not quite a stout, but golly is it good!

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment