Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche


That's not a typo. It's German! Now, I don't sprechen sie deutsch, but I did notice, in English, doppelbock and oak smoke. I'm in.

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche pours lighter than I expected, but it's a nice amber with a big head, though that may be a function of the bottle neck. The smell is smoke, and a ton of it, with some meat. The smoke is by far the dominating and overpowering flavor, but I do get some pork and there is a bit of sweet malt, too. It's like liquid bacon. Goes down quite easily, and there is no hint of the 8% ABV.

This is unlike any doppelbock I've had. So if you think you'll be getting something like Celebrator or Salvator, you're not. It is firmly a Rauchbier.

Overall, it's pretty tasty, but the smoke really is a lot to handle. Be ready!

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment