Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hoppin' Frog Silk Porter


Perhaps best known for B.O.R.I.S. and D.O.R.I.S., don't overlook the other fine brews from Hoppin' Frog, like the Silk Porter.

While it is an Ohio brewery, Hoppin' Frog can be hard to find in this part of the state. And it's kind of a shame, because I've been very impressed with everything of theirs I have had.

Silk Porter pours just like a porter should; inky black and just a trace of head. Full nose lets you know you need to get ready for an assault of flavor. Lots of roasted and toasted malt, some bittersweet chocolate. Even a bit past roasted into charred. A dry, chalky, woody finish. Is that chicory?

The name, I think, is a bit misleading. It's not as creamy and silky as other porters. In fact, it's more harsh than most. Mind you, that's not a bad thing. Very solid beer, here

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment